Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Kids--Caprine Variety

The goat babies are doing very well. We ended up with two bucklings from Tease, and a buckling and doeling from Chessie. I really wanted a doeling from both, but at least we got one. In the video you'll see 5 kids. We actually bought an Alpine buckling to be sure we could breed the girls this year. We're hoping to get a Saanen buckling, but the doe I want a buck out of hasn't kidded yet, so we'll have to wait and see!

Tease with her bucklings. Shortly after this photo was taken, she started trying to ram her babies. They've been bottle fed from the beginning.

This is Fred. He and his brother Scruffy as VERY friendly. I hate to sell them because they are so sweet.

Cheeto is the first kid born on our farm. He is sticking around as a buddy for our buckling Thor.

And our Grand Prize--Heidi.

Mr. HH always loved the look of Oberhasli goats, and he is thrilled by Heidi's coloration. Hopefully she grows out well enough to be bred in the fall. Unfortunately, Chessie freshened with a problem udder. One side seems to be having issues. The vet will be checking her out again this week to see if it's fixable. Even if it's not, the good half of her udder is giving us 1/2 a gallon everyday. Tease is already giving us OVER a gallon a day!

All that said, be prepared to see some posts of my attempts at making cheese!

3 comments:

  1. I love your baby goat pictures! We only had one baby goat born on our farm this spring, and we also named her Heidi. Great name for a goat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goats are beautiful!!! I never had an interest in Saanens until recently. The breeder my Lamancha boy came from also has Saanens & I was very impressed with them! So calm & sweet.....they definately go on my future goat wish list! I'm so happy you got at least one doe....& lil Heidi is beautiful!

    You now have yourself a new blog follower! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saanens are great! Our Saanen girl is awesome on the milkstand. Very sweet to boot! I am thinking about adding some Lamanchas to our herd in the next year or so to increase the sweetness factor in our herd.

    ReplyDelete